Monday, April 20, 2015

CE sharing her breastfeeding journey

Dear mummies,

my breastfeeding journey was tough (better now) and I have had many thoughts of quitting breastfeeding, which thankfully I did not…yet!  For the first 6 weeks, I had difficulty meeting my LO demand, and pressured to start on FM. I had lack of sleep, LSCS operation wound pain, back pain. My milk supply was very little and probably meeting 50% demand. 

Then I was down with URTI and fever for around 9 days during my confinement month. I dare not let my LO near me during that period. This made me start to be an exclusive pumper. I was single pumping at that time, and with very low supply during stressful period, I try to pump as long and as frequent as I can; 1-2 hourly and each session around 40 mins-1 hour SINGLE pumping. It was very tiring and stressful. (Geez, this wasn’t what I had imagined and hope for; the nice image of mother-baby bonding like you see on those breastfeeding posters and pictures as if it was so easy!) After I recovered, I usually pump and DL at nights when possible.  Then I decided that due to my pumping pattern, I needed to double pump and change the pattern if I want to keep going on (having panda eyes and unkempt hair, wanting to quit badly).  I decided to search online for information for a new double pump that is more suitable for exclusive pumping.  I still like my Spectra M1- it serves me well though I would want one with a more powerful motor adequate for double pumping, and read about Spectra S1 and was keen to get one. Then, I stumble on Su Li’s website through google search. First thing I read when the webpage load was that I was able to test out spectra machines and it provides counseling! I decided to give a call and made an appointment with her. I was willing to travel from mainland to Penang in hope that it could help me in any way. 

After the counseling session and gaining many advices from her, and changing  to  Spectra S1 pump, I was able to increase my yield gradually to 100% in two weeks ( achieved 100% for about a week), fluctuates between 85%-100% supply meeting demand.  Gosh, this indeed require much perseverance! I also get to sleep more ( this is indeed bonus point plus plus) with double pumping. So for the new mothers out there, keep up your effort and that you are not alone! Also, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Su Li for her support. My LO is almost 3 months now and I hope I can continue to breastfeed and pump as long as I can especially when I will be starting to work soon! Well, I still have panda eyes and look crappy!

No comments:

Post a Comment